Monday, 11 January 2010

Folk & Pictures


Last night I went to Warwick Arts Center and saw Lewis Garland and the Kett Rebellion. Lewis is a friend of my girlfriend's and we'd been to see him at his last gig in Coventry at the scarily somber Taylor John's. They played Glastonbury a while back and have just finished a UK tour (including a date in Ireland which they refused to play after being informed on arriving that the venue wanted £150 from them to play it..?!).

The Kett Rebellion ain't my usual cup of tea, I'd be the first to admit, but I totally enjoyed the gig. The band play a good variation of folk from soft vocal-acoustic stuff to full on stomp-your-foot gypsy; complete with double-bassist, squeeze-box and mandolin. His lyrics are interesting and draw a few parallels between art and music (Life Drawing - alludes to, well yeah you guessed it... and Art has a cute Damien Hurst heart-in-formaldehyde theme) The band look pretty young, but are very polished, and it's sad to hear that Lewis' getting a bit peeved with the industry and is most likely going to have a break for a while, as they seem to have everything in place for success.
Review - Lewis Garland & The Kett Rebellion - CD to buy

A couple of weeks back I also went to the Capsule closing party at VIVID and saw Modified Toy Orchestra, who were great as always, wielding their speak'n'spell instruments. Briefly got a glance at Catweasel's vvvv set-up for the Toy Orchestra's visuals too - I must work out how to build GUI's using it... also caught PCM too, who always seem to please with a taste of dark Drum'n'Bass. Sadly I missed all the other acts who I haven't seen yet and wanted too, but bouncing round the room like a drunken fool with Tim Jones ("I'm a raver! I'm a raver!") and the slightly sozzled Ashley Cole (AKA toy-mangling grunge-o-naught Concrete Belly) was so much fun I didn't really care.


Here's Concrete Belly getting down with his bad-self (& me VJing) from a while back just before he trashed the place and got banned...lol

Dropped in on the De Montfort University MA Photography Show at the Custard Factory which was a little underwhelming, although it did have some nice panoramic shots of beach huts and seafronts, but was more impressed by the artwork in The Framers next door. If you want cool stuff to hang on your walls go here, you will not be disappointed! See photos below...

Speaking of pictures - if you want loads of free digital prints - try signing up for free accounts with the following, so far I've notched up over 150 free digital prints just by starting an account with them: Tesco, Photobox, Snapfish or Jessops. Duno if they are still doing it but it's worth a try...

No comments:

Post a Comment