Blog Archive

Monday, 14 July 2008

Supersonic Friday



Rated as the best experimental music festival this-side of Sonar in Barcelona by someone recently (if my memory serves...) it was Supersonic again this weekend in Birmingham! What a treat:) As usual, I got rather excited at the Friday line-up... Saturday looked amazing with Battles headlining and Sunday had the delights of the ZX Spectrum Orchestra and possibly the most awe-full band in the universe ASVA.

ASVA are the only band I've seen (at another Capsule gig) in which I have totally lost my concept of time and could have easily been there for a month. People left crying with disappointment that an ex-Mr. Bungle member [Trey Spruance] could be doing anything as strange as playing as slowly and loudly as possible. ASVA make Type O Negative sound like Chipmunk-Speed Garage.



Anyways... I got asked to VJ again this year and again sadly had to decline. The first time there was a bombscare and since then I've hung-up the old VJing gloves and retired. The good news though - I get to be at the event and enjoy it as a punter. Excellent. Visuals were good in the medicine bar but what the hell was the pink and green shapes all about when Cutting Pink were on? ergh......

So why Friday? Well...

First up were Cutting Pink with Knives whose tracks Airz and Laser Hannon from their ‘Populuxxe’ album are a couple of the most listened to tracks I own, according to the trusty LastFM profile. They may barely be over a minute and a half each and completely spazzed out cybergrind pop nonsense, but I love them. Which may be a little more than the band themselves do, who were HAMMERED. It's their last gig before splitting and they swiftly massacred everything like a seasick serial killer. These guys were funny! Crowd surfing, throwing guitars in the air, crawling around the floor, throwing cans of beer at, and chatting to the surgeons in the crowd... great to watch! but sadly, after missing them the last time they played, I felt a bit underwhelmed that the songs I know and love somehow got turned into sludge. Ah well, it was funny, even if they seemed outta tune, outta time, outta key, outta their heads and considering each track was about 2 minutes max, you got a 'let's chat break' of about 4 minutes between every song. Ace, but for all the wrong reasons.. maybe..

Here's a pic - not from Friday, but perhaps evidence that CPWK are mostly mental?


Rolo Tomassi however were tight as fuck. Totally amazing set from a band who when I first saw them were dressed as a selection of manga dragons, bob the builder and Sam from Blakfish for Halloween - a look that I somehow still miss. None of them look very old. And this is usually pointed out early on, closely followed by 'and the little girl with the cute blond bob can't half scream with the best of 'em'. It is true. Eva, Rolo's incredibly sweet and innocent vocalist, can make the hairs on the back of your neck stand-up like porcupine spines as she snarls and adds a little pirouette. Rolo started strong but tended to peter out a little just before the end, similar to the last time I saw them - but the first few songs were just electrifying. They seem to be going from strength to strength this year too and just played Download..! Luckily there back in Birmingham in sept or playing in Wolverhampton in august if you need to catch them. Oh, and they're from Sheffield - I love Sheffield. Actually they appeared in my first blog on here.

Here's Rolo live at Rock City.



Sadly I missed most of PCM with the vocalist from Bolt Thrower... sounded good from the bits I caught though. Dalek were a tad dull for me, and I'm surprised they're on Ipecac but maybe they're just not my cuppa tea - big industrial hip-hop beats and serious rap, but nothing I'd write home about. I was keen to see them as they are playing this years All Tomorrow's Parties in December which is curated by Mike Patton and The Melvins. If I were going to be in the country, I'd be there! Among the acts are The Locust, Thrones, Bohren und der club of Gore and Fantomas playing The Director's Cut in it's entirety!

The Osaka Invasion was great, I was looking forward to Bogulta who did not disappoint. Playing electro-pop-cartoon-noise this Japanese two-piece looked and sounded great, as was Ove-naxx . DJ Scotchegg the KFC obsessed, Wrong Music genius was amazing. Playing his set from a Gameboy, this frazzled-looking stripey-hooded madman, clawed the air like the god of thunder, while hammering out 8-bit gabba blasts, smoking-nintendo-doomcore, and stars & bonuses. YES!!!

Here's Scotch Egg's Bach remake:)



But where the hell was DJ/Rupture? I was looking forward to seeing him, but couldn't find him anywhere! Was I just too wasted or did he not play??? Confused.

Anyway thank you again Capsule. We love you. Feed us weird things, more weird things.

2 comments:

  1. Rupture played on the the main (outside) stage from about half past 1 to the end... u must have been wasted :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/supersonic/

    ReplyDelete