Monday, 28 April 2008

Caught in 2 Scams - e-buying is dodgy!

I have gotta warn you... recently I have been caught in 2 online scams!

NEVER BUY FROM REDSAVE.com

I bought something online from a company called REDSAVE - (www.redsave.com). When I made the purchase I was unwittingly signing myself up to a monthly membership and they charged me £19.95 a month until I finally twigged and submitted a cancellation form. The bank were fully aware of these conmen, but as I had apparently agreed to their Terms and Conditions when I bought the product they were technically making a legal deduction from my account! I did a bit research and followed advice from Martin Lewis’s www.moneysavingexpert.com/ site. I threatened them with Small Claims but ended up cutting my losses as this would have cost me more money and time. It cost me over £60 which was more than the item i bought.

Dont get caught - these guys have to be avoided and have been on the BBC Watchdog program. Try to buy online using a Credit Card (not a debit card) and CAREFULLY read the T&C of online stores that you don't know well and trust.


WATCH OUT FOR COMPUTERISED eBAY BUYERS

I have just tried to sell a digital video camera on eBay and the winning bidder turned out to be a scam asking me to send the item to Nigeria. They seem to have a very sophisticated system in place. Firstly a genuine bidder was outbid at the last second, then I got a fake email from what looked like eBay (Named Service@ PayPal.co.uk) saying that the payment had been made. The actual email address was clients-verifings@post.com (not actually eBay) and it was sent to me so quickly I became suspicious it had been automated by a computer just as the bid won. I contacted the buyer through eBay saying 'Sorry, but I suspect you are a scammer, please contact me to discuss' and got a dodgy response from 'Clara Wood' at clarawoodxyz@gmail.com that read like this;

"Hi Mate,

I write to inform you that I have made out a quick payment of xxx Pounds to you for this item number (xxx ).So

check your mail INBOX OR BULK FOLDER for the confirmation mail from paypal .Get back to me immediately if you receive the confirmation mail from paypal.I want this item shipped through FIRST CLASS ROYALMIIL INTERNATIONAL SIGNED FOR to my Friend who works with the German Embassy in Lagos Nigeria.Below is`her name and address that you will have to send the item to:

NAME: YEROKUN OLUFEMI OYEKUNLE

ADDRESS: #19 OGUDU STREET , GRA , OGUDU-OJOTA , 23401 , LAGOS , NIGERIA

Send the shipping details to me tomorrow soon as you ship it so that i can forward it to her.

Kind Regards,

Clara

PS: due to how urgent My`friend needs this, i decided to pay you Extra Money for the international postage for this item, as I will be leaving for New York,so make sure`you`post it out tomorrow to her then you get back to me with the tracking"


THE MONEY NEVER APPEARED IN MY ACCOUNT.

DO NOT SHIP OUT ANY ITEM WITHOUT FIRST RECEIVING PAYMENT FOR IT FROM THE BUYER. THIS SCAMMER WAS OBVIOUSLY HOPING THAT BY PRESSURING ME TO MAIL THE ITEM OUT QUICKLY, WHILE PAYMENT WAS STILL PENDING, THEY WOULD GET THE ITEM AND I WOULD NEVER GET THE MONEY.


It's also tricky to get rid of a false winning bid quickly as eBay insist that you try contact the buyer and give a set amount of time before any more action can be taken. Meanwhile the genuine bidders who could have bought the item were bidding on other cameras on eBay, while mine was still unable to be sold. I had to cancel the sale through eBay which was fiddly and took some effort. The second place bidder whom I contacted and told about being outbid in a suspicious way went on to buy someone else's camera, and so I lost out.

1 comment:

  1. I have an experience of this type of incident before 5 months. I have purchased a one book online for 20$. now they are not deliver a book to my house so what can i do for that. I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete