Wednesday, 26 March 2008

How has being creative become so difficult?

When I was at Uni and College, I immersed myself in endless creativity - painting, drawing, writing, making computer games, videos, websites, music; always starting new projects. I suppose being on a course that's full-time and dedicated to being creative in an environment in which a group of others are doing the same thing really helps.

Now I seem to have a list of jobs to do. Some of which I get paid for, some of which I feel I need to do, and some which I'd like to do, but never seem to get around to doing. And instead of starting new projects I just seem to try and refine old ones, hoping that they'll progress rather than starting fresh. I suppose my ideas about what is successful have changed. I used to believe that you just needed great content, but the world has proven otherwise and you need a hell of a lot more than content to get anywhere, like finance, marketing, distribution etc. and unless your lucky enough to have someone else do this for you, you seem to end up doing this more and more, and making less and less. I suppose you just need to set aside time to be creative, which is always problematic, as time designated to produce unknown results always seems a bit less productive when you could be ploughing through a list of to-do jobs. And when inspiration strikes it's always better to drop everything and get on with it I suppose.

So instead of actually doing something, I am sitting here writing about not doing anything. Typical! ... How can I be more creative?

No comments:

Post a Comment