Blog Archive

Monday, 26 November 2007

What I been reading...

The last great novel I read was definitely Haruki Murakami's 'The Wind-up Bird Chronicle' which was pretty incredible. Very surreal and dark. Really deep and visual like Lynch. I was totally gripped. Read it now! His other novels ain't as good though. I read about another 3 which were not a patch on it.

Ive just finished 'Neuromancer' by William Gibson; the book which kinda invented 'the matrix'. It was good and very escapist, but bloody hard work. Every sentence is laboured and you've got to keep a clear head and keep up with every last hint to hang on to the story. There was definitely a few parts where i thought I'd completely lost what was going on, even after retracing what I'd drunkenly read the night before, was still a bit miffed as to what the hell he was going on about. Still, it was pretty different and rich. Very cyberpunk.

The last big impact on me was definitely 'The Art of Travel' by Alain de Botton, who is a rather bald and sad looking philosopher/art critic mostly, but his book really changed the way I looked at life. The premise is that when your away on holiday / travelling etc. your are in a different mindset and so are more receptive to the world - thus making your experience more lucid and exotic. There's a book called 'A journey around my room' which basically works from this idea and Xavier De Maistre explores his bedroom with the fascination he may have had for a far away land. It's been recommended to me by a friend. Fact is, since I've started applying this odd travelling mindset to everyday life - everything has become much more enriching. I'm now planning to travel the world next year. Think on...

No comments:

Post a Comment